We spent today touring Lisbon. Our guide Roger met us at 0900. He took us through the older parts of Lisbon, weaving the car expertly through streets that seemed too narrow and turns that seemed too tight for a car.
The following are some pictures I took during the day. Since we were in a moving car in traffic much of the time my photo opportunities were somewhat limited. We are off into the countryside tomorrow, but Monday I hope to return to the old section of the city and walk around taking pictures.
The explorer Vasco da Gama is a big deal in Portugal. An even bigger historical celebrity is Prince Henry the Navigator. Yesterday coming into the harbor on ROTTERDAM, I photographed the Monument of the Discoveries.
The following are some pictures I took during the day. Since we were in a moving car in traffic much of the time my photo opportunities were somewhat limited. We are off into the countryside tomorrow, but Monday I hope to return to the old section of the city and walk around taking pictures.
Here is a closer picture from the other side of the monument. From either side, the foremost figure is Prince Henry the Navigator.
Also in yesterday's post was a water view of Belem Tower. One of two forts on opposite sides for the Tagus River, in the 16th century the forts provided an effective defense from pirates. The wide harbor of Lisbon has been called 'the bottle' because the Tagus River narrows at its mouth before emptying into the sea. This narrow opening forms the neck of the bottle. The cannons of the two forts were ranged in to sink anything hostile that entered the neck of the bottle.
- - - - -
We enjoyed Roger's presentation of the city. We were grateful to be touring in car considerably larger than this one although the color scheme and Hello
Kitty wheel hubs were in keeping with the conspicuous image Pam & I
like to project, especially when traveling.
We had an excellent dinner at Doca Piexe. Great seafood at a fun restaurant right on the harbor.
















No comments:
Post a Comment